Sunday, March 8, 2009

Thats what friends are for


I used to work at Mooks during uni and looking back now, that might have been the root of my shopping addiction. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week I was constantly looking and handling clothes and sneakers. I was basically shopping all those hours! For three years!!!

Apart from making minimum wage, I worked with lots of fun people, we listened to hip hop all day long and even got to mingle with celebrities – I was practically trampled by Macy Gray’s entourage. But most of all, I bought my clothes and sneakers at a discount. Under the employees’ discount I got 30% off full priced items and 50% off sale stuff. Of course I spent all my money on the day I got paid. And then some.

So when I shop in the US, I often wonder about the perks offered to the employees of retail companies. Actually, that’s a lie. I’ve gone as far as seeing a recruiter to switch my profession, but for some reason they weren’t convinced when I said my retail experience from 11 years ago is still relevant today. Just imagine! I would have shared the perks with all of you! But until then, I’ll share with you something almost as good. Its called ‘Friends and Family’.


Major department stores and companies run this promotion twice a year where ‘Friends and Family’ of the employees are blessed with 15-30% discount on almost everything at the store. Even skincare, cosmetics and fragrances. Stores usually send the coupons to bring in-store or an email with a promotional code. Its usually a 4 day event and the stores are packed with shoppers. Not to mention that the sites can be really slow, like that annoying dial up speed.

Here is the list of stores I frequent during this event:

Saks
Bloomingdales
• Lots of make up brands such as MAC, Shu Uemura and Nars
Sephora
Ralph Lauren
American apparel

I usually make the most of this event by stocking up on things that never go on sale like skincare, cosmetics and fragrances. Last year, I bought staple wardrobe items like Burberry trench coats and Jimmy Choo pumps. Jewellery is also included in this event but I’m pretty sure I don’t have enough money to buy the flawless 2 carat diamond earrings from Graff. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment